FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS
What is now the Pedlar’s Inn cafe was once a part of Sri Lanka’s colonial history. In the old days of British rule, the building was used as the booking office for Galle’s Royal Mail coach service which began in 1838. A two-horse coach would leave Galle at 06.00am and arrive in Colombo at 04.30pm. The Night Mail left Galle at 06.00pm and had to be un-harnessed and ferried.
In 1908, the property was purchased by Thaha Hadjiar Sultan Bawa and it remained in his family until the current owner, Azeez, converted the building into a guest house in 2001, before developing it into the café it is today. The genuine archaic origins of the inn is what holds up to this day, creating a pleasing vintage ambience for our travelers and diners to enjoy.
Pedlar’s Inn, which originated in this interesting historical setting is now home to one of Galle’s most sought after cafes and dining experiences. Head over to our cafe and restaurant page to learn more.